Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My Enduring Love for South India

This time, I want to share one of my oldest fascinations, my deep admiration for South India.

Ever since childhood, I have felt a special connection with the South. I cannot explain exactly why, but I have always admired the lifestyle, culture, and the way people there approach life. Perhaps the roots of this affection lie in my hometown and the environment in which I grew up.

I come from Berhampur, a vibrant town on India's east coast near the Bay of Bengal. The city has a unique cultural identity, with nearly 60% of its population speaking Odia and 40% speaking Telugu. Located just 25 kilometers from the Odisha-Andhra Pradesh border, Berhampur enjoys a beautiful blend of both cultures.

Known as the "Silk City of Odisha," Berhampur is famous for its exquisite silk sarees, locally known as Patto Sarees, handcrafted with remarkable skill and intricate workmanship. With a population of over six lakh people, the city continues to grow while preserving its cultural richness.

Berhampur is also an important educational hub. It is home to several renowned institutions, including:

  • Berhampur University
  • Maharaja Krushna Chandra Gajapati Medical College
  • Khallikote College
  • Uma Charan Pattnaik Engineering School
  • Ganjam Law College
  • Several nationally recognized engineering colleges

The people here are resilient. Over the years, they have faced floods, droughts, cyclones, and epidemics, emerging stronger each time. The close interaction between Odia and Telugu communities has created a unique cultural harmony that has existed for generations. Growing up amidst this blend of cultures naturally inclined me toward South Indian traditions and lifestyles.

First Impressions of the South

Over the first twenty-six years of my life, I had the opportunity to visit South India several times. I traveled to Hyderabad and Chennai on multiple occasions and even ventured further south to Thiruvananthapuram.

Every journey left a lasting impression on me. I loved the food, the hospitality, and the overall atmosphere. Being a foodie, good food automatically enhances my opinion of a place, and South India never disappointed. The only challenge I occasionally faced in coastal regions was the salty water and the availability of drinking water. Apart from that, every experience was memorable.

A Journey During Difficult Times

My most unforgettable visit to South India came in September 2007, under circumstances far different from leisure travel.

My father was suffering from a serious heart condition and urgently needed surgery. At that time, I felt completely lost. Thankfully, my uncles stood firmly beside me and offered invaluable support.

After consulting specialists, we narrowed our options to two prestigious hospitals: AIIMS in New Delhi and the Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences in Thiruvananthapuram.

Since I was based in Delhi, I initially explored the AIIMS option. However, despite my efforts and contacts, I was informed that the waiting period for the procedure would be at least a month. My father's condition was critical. He required a pacemaker implantation, and waiting was simply not an option.

That was when we turned our attention to Thiruvananthapuram. Through my uncle, I learned that an Odia doctor was serving as the Head of Cardiology there. The moment I heard that, I felt a sense of confidence and hope.

The situation at home was tense. Everyone was worried, and the financial burden was overwhelming. The surgery was expected to cost nearly ₹4 lakh. After calculating all my savings, I realized I had only ₹1.5 lakh. I had to arrange the rest through a bank loan.

While my father, mother, and two uncles were already in Thiruvananthapuram, I flew there via Mumbai and arrived on a hot afternoon. From the airport, I headed straight to the hospital.

Seven Days in Thiruvananthapuram

Those seven days were emotionally exhausting but equally memorable.

While my father's surgery remained at the center of our thoughts, I could not help but notice the beauty of the city around me. The food was wonderful, the people were warm, and the surroundings were breathtaking.

The roaring Arabian Sea, endless stretches of beaches, swaying coconut trees, and the calm atmosphere captured my heart completely. Despite the anxiety surrounding my father's health, the city left a profound impression on me.

Thankfully, the surgery was successful, and with renewed hope, we prepared to return home.


The Journey Back

The train journey back remains one of the most beautiful travel experiences of my life. As the train moved through Kerala's lush landscapes, crossing rivers, forests, mountains, and backwaters, I found myself glued to the window. Raindrops sliding down the glass added a magical charm to the scenery outside.

For someone who had spent nearly a decade in Delhi, battling heavy traffic and crowded roads every day, watching nature unfold uninterrupted for hours felt almost surreal.

The changing landscapes, peaceful villages, winding rivers, and dense greenery created a sense of calm I had rarely experienced before. More than the scenery, it was the warmth and friendliness of the people that stayed with me.

A Lasting Connection

That journey deepened my love for South India in ways I had never imagined. What began as childhood curiosity evolved into genuine admiration and emotional attachment.

South India, for me, is not just a region. It represents warmth, resilience, simplicity, natural beauty, incredible food, and unforgettable memories. Every visit has given me something valuable, and I continue to look forward to every opportunity to return.

It was yet another golden chance to experience the South I had always loved, and it only strengthened my desire to explore it again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment